Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

I've been experimenting with overnight oats still and I've found that adding Greek yogurt makes all the difference. I know Gina over at skinnytaste.com doesn't like it... but it makes it nice and thick. I used half a container of Chobani original and it was so thick I had to add some almond milk to thicken it up (I'm all about Silk Original Almond Milk -- delightful). I also have been adding berries since -- 'tis the season! I meant to take a picture but I ate it before I remembered.

Now... fact of my life: I don't really like peppers. I can kind of deal with them raw but overall... peppers are not my thing. Now for the past two weeks I've been having INTENSE cravings for ... stuffed peppers. What?? I tried to just ignore it but it was relentless. So yesterday I gave in.

I couldn't find a recipe that really looked delightful so I kind of pieced it together.

Ingredients:
6 Bell Peppers that look like they will stand
1.3lbs of 99% lean turkey
1 cup cooked rice (whatever variety you prefer... I'd imagine quinoa would also do well)
1 small zucchini
1 cup mushrooms
1 small onion
1 cup of fat free/low sodium chicken broth - divided
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
salt - to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
14.5 oz of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup grated cheese (I went for cheddar)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Mince the garlic and the onion and saute with olive oil until translucent. Dice the zucchini and mushrooms. Cut the tops off of the peppers at the widest point and dice the tops.


Add the pepper, zucchini and mushrooms to the skillet and saute until they start to cook down. Add the turkey and spices. Stir continuously, breaking it apart regularly until the meat is cooked through (no pink!). Add the diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Let it simmer until the sauce is greatly reduced (mine probably sat there for 10 minutes).


Add the rice. Fill the peppers with the mixture and top with cheese. Place the peppers in an oven safe tray and add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan tightly with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted/starting to brown. 

I remembered to take pictures during the process but forgot to take a picture of the end product. So you get a picture of my lunch today instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment